Situated at the convergence of the Snake and Weiser Rivers, this towns history dates back to the mid 1800s, but the origin of the towns name still remains controversial. Several historians suggest that the town and nearby river were named after Revolutionary War veteran, Peter Weiser, who served as cook for the Lewis and Clark Corps of Discovery from 1804 to 1806. Others tend to believe that the town was named after trapper turned miner, Jacob Weiser. After striking it rich in Idahos Florence Basin, Weiser along with William Logan and Thomas Galloway settled in this area in 1863. In 1864, Reuben Olds acquired a franchise from the Territorial Legislature and began operating a ferry on the Snake River near town. This business greatly increased Weisers population, and a post office was established in 1866. In 1881, the population surged again as the Oregon Shortline Railroad built a line through town. Today, this town that was once known for frequent shoot-outs serves as the seat for Washington County and supports an agricultural and ranching lifestyle. The town is also recognized as the site for the National Old-Time Fiddlers Contest and Festival held each June.